Gum Syrup is classic cocktail ingredient that gets mentioned from time to time, but can be very difficult to find. We’ll show you how easy it is to make with just a little time and some gum arabic
Finding the Nearly Impossible:
- 1 oz Gum Arabic hydrated in 1 oz of hot water
- 2 oz hot water
- 6 oz granulated sugar
1. Hydrate the Gum Arabic (affiliate link) in 1 oz of hot water for a few hours after stirring.
2. After white spheres have disappeared, combine the remaining hot water with the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add 3:1 simple syrup to Gum Arabic paste and stir to incorporate.
4. Now take your Gum Syrup out for a test drive and try it in your next Old Fashioned, Sazerac, or Aviation.
You can also flavor your gum syrup as you would normal simple syrup. Pineapple gum syrup for a Pisco Punch? Also try Turbinado or Demerrara gum syrup in your next Old Fashioned.
Simple right! Sometimes, the things that are hard to find are easy to make yourself.