The Mixology Talk Podcast
Preserving Seasonal Flavors – Ideas for Saving Summer Flavors to use Year Round
This post may contain affiliate links. Check out this disclosure for more info. Thanks for your support!
The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #131
Everything tastes amazing in the summer! Here are some ideas for preserving those great seasonal flavors to enjoy in your cocktails year-round.
In today's Episode...
This time of year it's easy to take for granted the availability of delicious, in-season fruits and vegetables.
But if you let this season pass without any preparation for the future, you may just kick yourself in January! This week's episode is all about preparing for the fall and winter by preserving the delicious flavors we have available right now.
Listen or watch to hear more about:
- Freezing Juices and Concentrates
- Creating Purees
- Jams, Jellies and Marmalades
- Creating and using Shrubs
- When to consider making Infusions, Tinctures, and / or Liqueurs
- Dehydrated Zests and other Garnish ideas
Stuff we Mentioned:
To learn more about some of the techniques we mentioned, check out these articles:
- Cryofreezing - How to do it (and in this case, how to use it for clarification purposes)
- Purees - How to make them and how to use them in cocktails
- Shrubs - How to make them and How to make them
- Infusions, Tinctures, Liqueur
- Here's that cocktail we mentioned where we used dehydrated blood orange zest for the garnish. (Beautiful, right?)
Thanks for Listening!
Share your favorite techniques (and flavors to preserve) in the comments, we'd love to hear them!
Never miss an Episode - Subscribe!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel and you'll catch all new episodes as soon as they are released!
Follow the link in the button above to go straight to iTunes, or just search your favorite podcast app for "Mixology Talk Podcast"
It’s great to get creative with your cocktail recipes, but how do prevent your creativity from going too far? This week we’re chatting with Camper English about keeping cocktails safe.read more
What happens when you get 1,000 bartenders and cocktail enthusiasts in the same place to talk cocktails? Here’s a recap of our favorite debates and conversations from the last few months in our Facebook group!read more
We believe great bartending is about hospitality and caring about your craft.
We're here to share what we learn and help our industry learn and grow.