The Mixology Talk Podcast
Raising your Prices: When and How (without Losing all your Regulars)
This post may contain affiliate links. Check out this disclosure for more info. Thanks for your support!
The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #149
Time to raise prices? Don’t chicken out! Here are some tips for increasing your menu prices in a way that’s good for the bottom line and doesn’t scare away your customers. (I promise!)
In today’s Episode, we’re talking about Raising Prices
Maybe you need to raise prices because your rent went up. Or maybe your town passed a law increasing minimum wage. Or maybe you just haven’t done it in years. Either way, at some point you’re going to have to think about increasing the prices at your bar.
Today we’re talking about how to navigate that process (hopefully) without p!ssing everyone off.
Do you need to raise prices?
In some cases it’s pretty cut-and-dry: a new manager comes in and says you need to raise prices. But other times it may be less obvious. For example, if you’re not tracking your margins and COGS then you may not realize that your suppliers tiny little price increases have whittled away at your profits over the years.
Start with your numbers and see if it’s something you need to do.
How to raise your prices:
OK, now you’ve established that you need to do it. But how?
- Look for easy wins. Don’t just increase the price for everything on your menu by X%. You may be able to adjust a small number of prices and make all the difference.
- Survey the Competition: What’s everyone else in your neighborhood charging?
- Don’t just look at the booze: You might be grossly undercharging for sodas or coffees – don’t forget to look at these non- alcoholic items too!
Avoid an Angry Mob
Now that you’ve planned to increase your prices, how do you roll them out without losing all of your regulars? (Especially the ones who always order the same drink!) A few suggestions:
- Warn people 30 days prior, but let them know you’ll honor the existing price until then. This reduces the shock when the “real” price increase happens.
- And the nuclear option: If there’s a regular you just can’t lose, consider giving them a “lifetime price”. This is hugely risky but something we’ve seen done before.
Thanks for Listening!
Any tips for easing the transition to higher prices? How have you done it at your bar? Let us know in the comments!
Never miss an Episode - Subscribe!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel and you'll catch all new episodes as soon as they are released!
Follow the link in the button above to go straight to iTunes, or just search your favorite podcast app for "Mixology Talk Podcast"
Moving day! How do you find a job in a new market? Listen in for tips in how to move and find a new job – sometimes before you even leave!read more
The modern craft bar isn’t all glitz and glamour. Bartending comes with its dark side as well. This week we’re chatting with Justyn Myers to discuss the grittier side of bartending and what he’s learned from hosting a show all about it.read more
Making specialty syrups? This is your episode! We’re talking with Jared and Absinthia from Nickel Dime Syrups this week and learning all of their tricks for flavor extraction.read more
We believe great bartending is about hospitality and caring about your craft.
We're here to share what we learn and help our industry learn and grow.