Knowing how to make an infusion is just the first step that will lead down the path of creating your own bitters, tinctures and liqueurs. Not only that, but infused alcohols are a great way to specialize your cocktail menu without the expense of flavored liqueurs.
In this video, Chris starts an infusion with Vodka and lemon zest – but the technique would be the same for other liquors or citrus. When infusing non-citrus fruit, keep in mind that the size of the fruit pieces will affect the strength of flavor they impart on the alcohol, due to changes in the surface area touching the liquor. We’re planning to do another infusion video discussing these changes soon, so keep an eye out!
Getting the Infusion Started:
How to Start your Own Infusion:
What You’ll Need:
- About 15 lemons
- Neutral Grain Spirit (the higher the proof, the quicker the infusion will occur.)
- Good quality zester or peeler (I find potato peelers are some of the best!)
- Infusion container (non-reactive, like glass)
- Zest the lemons, trying to pick up as little of the white, bittering pith as possible.
- Place all zest in the infusion container
- Fill with spirits, ensuring that all lemon zest is submerged.
Over the next several weeks, keep the infusion in a cool, dark place. Stir it every day, and taste it frequently so you can stop the infusion when it’s reached the flavor you are looking for.
Other Infusion Info:
Update on the Tennessee Infusion Law:
Update on the TN Infusion law: it looks like they won’t be enforcing it after all. More detail here. Regardless, always check your local laws before starting an infusion program at your restaurant or bar.
Infusion Container Suggestions:
Note: some links below are Affiliate Links. Thanks for your support!
- I tried to find the same peeler online but it looks like they don’t make it anymore. This one is close but I can’t recommend it due to the shipping cost. If I find the right one I will definitely add the link in the future!
- Don’t worry, I did find the Creamy Alfredo!
- Here’s the jar I used in the video for my infusion: Beverage Server.
That’s it for now!
Come back in a few weeks and we’ll finish off this infusion! Until then, leave a comment or come say hello on Facebook!
Update: We’ve finished the infusion now – Click Here to see the infusion wrap-up video.